The Florence School of Regulation (FSR) and the Council of European Energy Regulators (CEER) are proud to announce the 7th edition of our joint course "Introduction to Fundamentals of Energy Regulation". This year the course will be held online on 20-29 April 2021. The course will also include an "offline" week (12-16 April 2021) for participants to familiarise with the online platform and the preparatory material for the course. The CEER-FSR course is focused on explaining the fundamentals of EU energy policy and regulation, building on similar successful courses held in previous years.
The course is ideally suited for newer staff members within National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs), European Institutions and other public authorities.
The course comprises of two related modules and an offline preparation week with expected preparation time of approximately 4 hours. Attendance at both modules is highly recommended, though they are designed such that participants can gain value by attending just one of the modules if they wish.
- Module 1: "EU Energy Regulatory Framework and Policy".
- Module 2: "European Electricity and Gas Market Regulation".
The CEER-FSR course will comprehensively explain the key aspects of EU electricity and gas regulation, including the latest developments, both theory and practice, across the energy cost chain from wholesale markets through to networks and retail issues. Attendees will be provided with a clear understanding of the economic and legal frameworks that have developed in European energy regulation, including an explanation of the main institutions and participants involved.
The course brings together the FSR’s rigorous academic understanding of regulatory principles along with the CEER's senior regulatory practical knowledge and expertise. By combining academic groundings and practical on-the-job regulatory experience, the course seeks to build the operational understanding, capacity and tools for newer NRA staff members, which they can then apply in their work.
Course Directors: Ilaria Conti, FSR Head of Gas Area and Koen Locquet, Acting President of CREG.
Course Advisors: Jean-Michel Glachant, FSR Director and Margot Loudon, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board.
- Week 1: 12-16 April 2021: Offline preparation to the course, first welcome online class on 12 April 2021. Expected preparation time: 4 hours.
- Week 2: 20-22 April 2021: Module 1: "EU Energy Regulatory Framework and Policy", 3 Online Classes, approximately 3 hours each day.
- Week 3: 27-29 April 2021: Module 2: "European Electricity and Gas Market Regulation", 3 Online Classes, approximately 3 hours each day.
Module 1 (20-22 April): EU Energy Regulatory Framework and Policy:
- EU energy regulation and energy policy: the landscape.
- Introduction to the European legal framework for energy: logic and dynamics.
- Retail markets and consumer protection and future energy systems.
Module 2 (27-29 April): European Electricity and Gas Market Regulation:
- Introduction to gas markets and grids.
- Introduction to electricity markets and grids.
- Regulating electricity and gas monopolies and the link between energy and competition policies.