Smart metering, better price signals, technological developments and the Clean Energy Package all create opportunities for new actors in the energy sector. In various ways, these actors offer new answers to old questions. Renewable Energy Communities and Citizen Energy Communities aim to make consumers more active. New market players seek to generate increased flexibility in the system.
If regulated such that incentives match system gains, these actors can contribute to a more efficient industry. However, the role such actors may play in practice remains uncertain. Many projects are still only in the research and development phase. Potential regulatory challenges are not necessarily clear and could benefit from an increased dialogue between regulators and new actors.
Energy regulators need to understand how these new actors affect the energy sector and how they can contribute to cost-efficient electrification and digitalisation. This tailor-made 2-day CEER training programme will help deliver energy regulators this expertise.
Level A: Overview Course
Experts from National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) who want to improve their knowledge and exchange experiences on the regulation of energy communities and new actors in the energy sector. Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
• Discuss the concepts of Renewable Energy Communities and Citizen Energy Communities and how they are defined in the Clean Energy Package.
• Explore the regulatory aspects of energy communities and case studies on regulatory experiences, covering tariffs, scope, rights and obligations.
• Examine the roles of new business and market actors in the energy sector and how they can contribute to cost-efficient electrification and digitalisation.
• Explore the regulatory building blocks to create a level playing field for new business and market actors.
• Participate in exciting discussions with new actors and exchange experience with academics doing research on these topics.
Course Director: Mr Andreas Bjelland Eriksen, NVE
Course Advisor: Mr Jorge Vasconcelos, Chairman of New Energy Solutions, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board