The "Clean Energy for All Europeans" Package (CEP) which was adopted in July 2019 aims to introduce an improved electricity market design in Europe. Since 1 January 2020, all provisions of the new Electricity Regulation (EU) 2019/943 have started to be applicable to the electricity markets and the provisions of the new Electricity Directive (EU) 2019/944 are on their way to be transposed into the national laws at the latest by 31 December 2020. Despite the early preparations, National Regulatory Authorities (NRAs) still face numerous challenges in implementing the new legislative package. Some open issues still have to be solved and common understandings and approaches still have to be developed.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This tailor-made CEER online training programme is designed for experts from NRAs with a general background or previous experience in the electricity markets who would like to improve or update their knowledge and expertise in order to succeed with the implementation phase of the Clean Energy Package and the related electricity market design challenges. Other experts from European Institutions (ACER, European Commission) are also invited to attend.
Level B: Specialised Course
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Revisit the general principles and explore the challenges of electricity market design and its application in Europe.
- Examine the main changes in electricity market design introduced by the Clean Energy Package, covering the expected legislative evolution, electricity trading properties, price formation and re-dispatching challenges, and compatibility of renewable support schemes with the market.
- Learn from academics and their case studies, exploring potential solutions to cope with price challenges and the coordination between TSOs and DSOs.
- Receive up-to-date information about important issues currently discussed and developed by NRAs, latest developments related to CACM 2.0 and resource adequacy.
- Discuss and exchange throughout 3 afternoons with trainers and other participants on processes, challenges, best practices, case studies, and lessons learned.
Online Class 1 on Wednesday, 8 September 2021
Online Class 2 on Thursday, 9 September 2021
Online Class 3 on Friday, 10 September 2021
⏲️ 14:00 - 17:00 (CEST) each day
- A series of online classes which give the participants the opportunity to participate in interesting presentations, discussions and exchanges with the trainers and other participants.
- Access to interesting literature review and reading materials on the topics addressed in the course.
- Interesting exercises and course work that participants need to prepare in advance to contribute to the online debates during the online classes.
The online classes will count on an exclusive and balanced combination of trainers - whose daily activities focus on the electricity market design and the Clean Energy Package - in order to train participants at best.
- François Beaude, ACER
- Gilles Bertrand, CREG
- Mathilde Carbonnelle, European Commission, DG ENER
- Mathieu Fransen, ACER
- Sven Kaiser, E-Control
- Mathilde Lallemand, European Commission, DG ENER
- Prof Anthony Papavasiliou, UCLouvain
- Dr Pablo Rodilla, Universidad Pontificia Comillas
Course Director: Mr. Alain Marien, CREG, Future Policy Work Stream Co-Chair
Course Advisor: Prof. Tomás Gómez, Universidad Pontificia Comillas, Member of CEER Training Academy Advisory Board